Thursday, June 19, 2008

Monday's Trauma

So Monday we were laying low...enjoying a lazy morning after a crazy Sunday. C was down for a nap, the girls were playing outside (still in their night-gowns!), Pop was doing a cross-word puzzle and Mom and I were chatting in the kitchen. I noticed E scream outside and my first thought was that the girls were fighting...a typical noise heard from outside while they are playing. I looked out the door to check on them and saw E headed to the door crying with blood streaming all down her hair and face, literally dripping onto the ground.

I quickly grabbed her and started to freak out. This is why it was such a blessing that my parents were still here. I'm not sure what I would've done without the calmness and decisiveness they brought to the situation. I set her on the counter and my mom quickly applied pressure to the top of E's head to try and stop the bleeding. My mom said I needed to take her to the closest ER, so I headed to my room for shoes and a hat (still hadn't showered!). I prayed the whole way up the stairs and all the way back down: "Lord, help her be okay and help me be calm."

When I got back downstairs, my parents had the bleeding stopped. My dad and I loaded E up in the car and he drove us to St. John's children's ER. We were seen pretty quickly and had wonderful nurses and dr's attending to E. The most she cried in the ER was when they put her on the scale to weigh her...not sure why that was so scary but am thankful it didn't get any worse than that!
What we gathered from E was that she was swinging on the "big girl swing" on her tummy and went too high and fell out on her head. We're still trying to imagine what that looked like and we can't really figure out how she managed to land on her head. M didn't see it happen and so all we have to go on is E's version...remember she's only 2!

In the ER they cleaned her wound and the Dr. came in and said that thankfully it was not a puncture but a deep cut. They put a local anesthetic on the wound several times for about 30-45 minutes. After that had set in, the Dr. cleaned it some more and decided it needed staples. She said staples is good for scalp wounds in girls because no one cares about the scar and you don't need to shave the head. She gave E a shot of another anesthetic and then proceeded to put 4 staples in our baby's head! I think it may have been harder for us than her! As the nurse was cleaning her up afterwards, she noticed another smaller cut on E's head. The Dr. looked at it and said it was small enough to not need any treatment...whew, we were glad to hear that! E was a trooper...so very brave! She did get away with a grape popsicle, six princess stickers, and both of the hospital gowns that they had on her, so all in all, not a horrible trip to the ER :)
Not a great pic...it was taken from Kris' phone. They wrapped her head in gauze to keep the local anesthetic in place.

She will go to her pediatrician on Monday morning to have the staples removed. I'm guessing that won't be very pleasant! She has been an excellent little patient, allowing me to clean it every night and put neosporin on it. She might just be my new hero! Along with my parents, without whom I quite possibly could not have survived this day. Mom for staying home with M and C...keeping them comforted and having fun. Dad for driving us to the ER and being a source of comfort to me as I could hardly stop shaking enough to fill out the hospital forms. And Kris, dear husband and father, who met us at the ER and made E laugh by being silly and letting her play with his phone and helped me to relax and calm down even more.

Nana, M & Dixie enjoyed a picnic in the backyard while we were gone

E's 4 staples...kind of hard to see!


Both girls needed some snuggle time...in their hospital gowns (we brought home two)! Also, note the princess stickers on E's legs and hands...she will not let me take them off...it's been 3 days!



Our inital plan was to top off the weekend with a trip to the Cupcakery. Since E had already had a very eventful day and M was needing a little attention, we left the "Littles" home with Daddy and headed down to the Central West End for a little taste of heaven.


2 comments:

Jenna said...

a few thoughts:
1. stepping on a scale *is* scary. i haven't done that for ages. i'm to the point that i'd rather give blood than step on a scale...and then watch someone WRITE it down?!.

2. the Cupcakery sounds like the closest thing to heaven that i've ever heard of. i'm a sucker for baked goods. (hm? related to #1?)

3. your kids are beautiful!!! so glad you got your boy!

Jenna said...

oh. and i finally linked to you on my blog. hope that's okay. let me know if not.